Monday, April 28, 2008

The Blessing Cake and the Night Before Company

Michael questioned my sanity for starting a project like this for the baby's blessing. The way I figure it, if you don't have fun in life and have some hobbies then life gets pretty boring. And Allie, I left my Mom's kitchen clean :)
All the flowers are royal icing which I made ahead and let them dry like gingerbread house cement. The top layer was white cake with strawberry filling, the middle layer was strawberry cake with frosting filling, and the bottom layer was funfetti cake, single layer. This was my first experiment stacking a cake... I would do some things a little differently next time, but it turned out fine anyway!
A view from the top...
I put the cake together Friday afternoon over at Mom and Dad's house so I wouldn't have to transport it. Then I came home, we had dinner and then Michael went to work on the refrigerator-- the ice maker quit working this week. Come to find out the hose to the back of the fridge was frozen 6 inches solid. So, he defrosted it using a hair dryer, but then noticed that water had been leaking down the back of the fridge onto the floor. Anyone who has been to our house knows that we have a gorgeous white tile floor with dark gray grout in our kitchen (gag), with an added bonus of the grout chipping out of it... so, under the fridge the water was able to seep under the tile. So Friday night, the night before company was coming Michael took a hammer to the tile. We now have no tile under the fridge, but you can't tell from the front.
Yippee! Hooray for home improvement! This means I get a new floor sooner rather than later :)
And here's little Ray patiently waiting for me to finish making food for her party. Pictures of the actual event will be coming soon.

10 comments:

Allie Thornbrue said...

Oh man, leaks are nightmares! But horray for new floors.

And I wasn't questioning whether or not you left your mom's kitchen clean. In fact, I was looking forward to crashing my mom's house when I need to get a project done...

Lori Thornbrue said...

What a pain........Houses are more trouble than fun!! It is always something........
One more appliance for your list of purchases????
Love you......Thanks for the fun party!

Michaelangelo said...

The fridge and ice maker are fine now... no more leaking. It was just the ice blocking the hose so the pressure made it leak down the back, but my handyman husband fixed it all.

And it is nice to take a messy project to someone else's kitchen for two reasons: 1)the kids are distracted by different toys and grandma and 2)it's more of a motivation to clean up the mess NOW rather than wait until after the kids are in bed... you know how it goes :)

Lloyd Family said...

Oh darn, a new floor. Thats too bad!!! Do you know what you are going to put on the floor?

Michaelangelo said...

Well right now the "new floor" is the fridge... but we are starting to look into bamboo or tile or hardwood. Not sure yet. We are toying with the idea of doing the whole main level the same floor, but Michael loves soft carpet in the living room, so we'll see. Open to suggestions :)

angel said...

Beautiful cake! Beautiful baby! And, soon, a beautiful floor! :)

Becca said...

The cake is beautiful!

Lloyd Family said...

We put in bamboo in our kitchen and when we rolled the fridge back onto the floor, it scratched the floor. I guess it is not as hard as people say.

Hardwood floors are much easier to keep clean than carpet as a main floor living area with kids. Juice, milk, dirt, petroleum jelly. . . all just wipe off. Tell Michael that he can get a nice, soft, squishy rug.

Thats my vote.

Lura said...

The cake is beautiful. Though I must object, this was not your first venture at stacking cakes, do you remember the lovely leaning cake we made for Malia's wedding? :) Don't know about you, but I've learned a lot about cake making/decorating since then. Thank goodness.

Michaelangelo said...

Oh Lura, did you have to remind me? That cake was so awful!!! Nasty fondant and all... yes, I have learned a TON about cake decorating since then and will never make a cake like that again! At least it looked alright for the reception- thanks to the flowers!