Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools

Michael played a mean trick on me today... he called me in the middle of the morning and said that he had to go to a meeting but a guy had just called wanting to order tumbleweeds and he needed them fast. Michael asked if I could possibly call the guy back and take his order over the phone so we could get working on it. He said the guy works for the Portland zoo and they are doing a western display. So, he sent me an email with the name and phone number for me to call.
For all of you who aren't familiar with our business, this is not an unusual occurrence-- after all, we have cattails in the Museum of Natural History (Manhattan), tumbleweeds in the Dallas Arboretum, wheat in the next Jack Black movie..... etc, etc.
So, I call the number and ask for the guy who had called. His name? Mr. Lyon.... Mr. Harrie Lyon. Haha on me. Asking for Harrie Lyon who works for the Portland zoo. The lady who answered the phone says "We don't have anyone by that name, it's an April Fools prank." Apparently I wasn't the first one to call.
I hung up the phone called Michael back to tell him that I didn't like it. The morning had already been extremely hectic and crazy-- the boys for some reason couldn't handle playing in the same room with each other or waiting two seconds for me to get something for them and EmmaRay was fussy and wanting to nurse every twenty minutes because she (and I) is coming down with another cold. So, it wasn't a great day for a joke and Michael knows how much I LOVE calling people I don't know... it's my least favorite thing in the world.
Anyway, Michael thought it was hilarious!! He laughed and laughed when I told him that I had actually called and asked for Harrie Lyon at the zoo about some tumbleweeds. So now that it's been a few hours I have to admit it was pretty funny... I can't believe I was dumb enough to actually ask for the guy! Joke's on me.
So, I hope I'm not the only one who fell for an April Fool's joke today! Michael told me I should just get back at him, but nothing great came to mind.... better luck next time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty good one. I have to admit! So, the lady on the phone was planted there for anyone to call her all day long? Or what?
That is way funny. I probably would have fallen for it, too!!

Michaelangelo said...

It was the operator at the Portland zoo-- really the real thing. I guess Michael found the idea online, so the zoo was getting quite a few prank calls because of that. Anyway, pretty funny if you're not the one making the call...

James said...

Speaking of lousy jokes, James got an offer yesterday. Unfortunately, the offer was so bad he thought surely it was an April Fool's joke. When the "real" offer didn't come, and the shock had worn off for both of us, we started thinking about what to do next. He will counter, and they better offer that plus a heafy signing bonus. If not, we will forget about CO for a while and let him focus on his work for the company that has earned his loyalty over the years.

Michaelangelo said...

Oh goodness. It's kind of insulting to get a bad offer after a good interview and hopes for a new job. Sorry to hear about that! That's happened to Michael several times... he's still with the same company for that reason too. Good luck.

Lloyd Family said...

Oh Annie, that is so funny. I laughed out loud. Ha Ha Ha. Dylan came home with his report card and told me that he had an F. I didn't fall for that one.

As for James and Allie. I am sorry about the horrible offer. When Lance worked for Wells Fargo and was one of their top producers, they called him in on a Saturday morning and said, "Hey, by the way, we think you are making too much, so we're cutting you commission by 25%." Lance thought that was a joke for 1/2 a second. Then, they expected him to cheerfully work for the rest of the day. CRAZY.

Lori Thornbrue said...

That Michael........at least he keeps you laughing!......
And I don't really like calling people, either. We must be related.