See our other blog for the rant about the new CPSIA law that was going into effect on February 10th. Due to the quiet but strong voices of the people who were going to be affected (namely, anyone or any business that makes or sells any product for children 12 and under), through blogging, writing to congressmen, emailing the Consumer Product regulation committee, etc. the bill that was potentially going to shut down the entire industry (including our site, AngelHeadbands.com) has now been postponed for a year.
Not that we can sit back and relax now-- we need to help the government change the law to be reasonable and not wipe all small businesses who target childrens products off the planet. But at least we don't have to send our entire inventory to the dump.
Can I just say that last week was quite the roller coaster? Things were fine and then WOW we have to try to sell off as much stuff that's in our basement as possible!! and then, okay, the government is postponing for a year so I guess we won't stand outside in 27 degree January weather at the side of the road to sell the tuxedos, dresses, tutus, hats, headbands, etc. that we have stored in our house.
Oi sometimes the "all powerful" government goes way too far. If the law had gone through in 8 days as was planned I thought it would be pretty funny for Obama... "Mr. President, the entire children's industry has collapsed, unemployment is through the roof, the nations landfills are overflowing with contraband inventory, imported products are now so expensive that America's families can't afford to clothe their children, not to mention that all education materials have been thrown out because they are potentially hazardous. What are you going to do next?"
Monday, February 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thank goodness! I hadn't heard about the postponing yet. When I heard that bill, I thought, hey, that's great that you want to help kids but can we do it in a way that will leave the rest of the country intact? Please? Did anyone really think things through before they passed that bill? I don't think so.
I signed a petition and wrote my congress man because I got your back!
I think your imagined note to the President was pretty dang hilarious!!! Too bad you couldn't really send it to him.....2 weeks in the White House and the nation falls. Funny!!! :)
. . . (adding to Kristen's comments). . . and the nation falls over CHILDRENS' CLOTHES. It is a sad world we live in when EVERYTHING has to be regulated for us. I also signed a petition to my congress man. Sheesh.
Post a Comment