
Lately Brennan has been afraid of the dark. At night if we close the door with less than 6 inches open then we hear him yelling "It's too dark! It's too dark!!" Even in the middle of the day if the kids are playing and Cade goes to turn off the light Brennan starts yelling about it.
Despite all of this, one of their favorite games to play is "Dark." They get our little baby monitor that has a light button, or grab a flashlight, and go into their room and shut off the lights except for the little ones, then they grab hangers (why I don't know, Michael says we need to get them toy guns so they don't have to use plastic hangers-- they break probably 10 a week!) and "shoot" the monsters with hangers. (Why do kids always know about monsters? I never taught them that!) Their gun sound effects are "Shoot, shoot, shoot!" Probably because they have never seen or heard any cartoons with guns so they don't know about "Bang bang" and other sound effects.
Monsters during the day are fun to play with, but at night they get scary apparently because we've been convincing the kids that there aren't really monsters. They don't believe that, so we've said that the monsters are nice and that they are our friends.
So, now if I'm in a room, say the bathroom washing my hands, Brennan will come in and put his fingers on the light switch, look at me with a devious grin and say "Mommy, the monsters are your friends? Ha ha ha" and then he turns off the lights and runs away.
8 comments:
Have your kids seen Monsters, Inc.? Maybe it would help cure the fear of monsters at night.
That's funny that Brennan turns the light off on you. So cute.
Well, Lura, we tried a few minutes of Monsters, Inc. at our house....about scared both Cade and Brennan to death. I can't remember WHICH movie had them terrified on the bed, nearly unable to move (Nemo?....yup, I think that was it) Bad grandma contaminating my grandchildren! But, Brennan with his happy face and cute countenance and mischievous ways is darling!
What a funny little guy. I know that kind of devious grin all too well.
My Mom suggested using a can of mild air freshener or I thought of using diluted Fabreeze and they get to keep it by the bed. If they get afraid of monsters, they can spray the area with "monster repellent" because monsters don't like nice smells. I never did try it because my boys would have emptied the whole bottle in an hour and I would have to clean it up but maybe it would work with your kiddos? Good luck.
Ha ha ha--- I love it.
lol. I don't know how all kids know about monsters. I think it's kind of like the thing where all boys come with sound effects. I never met a guy or a boy who didn't have his own set of sound effects.
Yes I'm done with finals!!! WOO!!! And we packed our entire apartment and moved out yesterday. Yay!! :)
I wonder the same thing with Adam....how do they figure those things out? Like how does he automatically know he can pee outside? Things to ponder! We are so excited to see you!
Post a Comment