On Friday night we decided to go out to eat. Michael had a gift card from work to Mimi's Cafe, a restaurant we have never tried, so we thought we'd take the kids out on a date with us. As we were seated at the table the couple next to us looked over, chuckled to themselves and then said "Wow, you're brave! You have a beautiful family, but you're outnumbered." I smiled back and said "Thank you, we love it!"
Then as we were sitting there waiting to order we looked around at the other diners and realized we were completely out of place. I think the next youngest people there were 35 or so... and one other baby in the whole place, but definitely no toddlers or even older kids. So, we ordered our food and then EmmaRay got hungry so I left Michael at the table with Cadence and Brennan eating bread to go feed her in the car. It took about 20 minutes or so before I could make it back to the table.
Meanwhile, the food came and Michael shared our dinners with the kids, tried to keep Brennan quiet through a couple of minor tantrums, and waited for me to come back. The waitress asked if I was ever going to come back and then took my meal back to the kitchen to keep it hot for me. On my way back into the restaurant I saw the lady that had made the family comment coming out- she held the door open for me and I told her thank you, and then went to finally eat.
They brought me my hot food from the kitchen which was delicious (and Merilee, I have finally tried Feta and I love it! I had Chicken Feta Penne pasta with sun-dried and fresh tomatoes, fresh basil and pine nuts of all things) and then the manager of the restaurant came over to ask us how our meal was. We said it was great and then he squatted down between Michael and I and said "Did you notice the gentleman sitting over at the table across from you, he was wearing a yellow shirt? (we said yes- it was the couple that commented) Well, he's taken care of your meal for you, so have a good night!"
What a fabulous surprise! We felt bad at first because we were already getting a free meal courtesy of Universal Accounting, but then we decided that our new life goal is to someday do the same thing for someone else because it was so awesome! They probably felt so bad for poor Michael trying to keep two toddler boys happy and eating and quiet in a nice restaurant all by himself... What a sweet thing for that couple to do! And now we get another free meal another day on the gift card, so how great is that?
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I would say that was pretty great!!!
Wow! What a treat. I have been with Lance's dad when he has bought meals for someone or bought a missionary bicycle parts. I always wish to be that generous. I watch Extreme Makeover Home Edition every Sunday hoping someday I will be in a position to make a huge difference in someon'e life.
Oh, and yes, I love fetta cheese! Toasted pine nuts are really good in a pasta too. It is amazing to me how soft they are for a nut once they have been toasted.
That is fantastic!! I have heard about someone in the McDonalds drive through who was being slow...the people behind them were getting impatient and annoyed...so the guy in front paid for the guy behind him. When he got to the window and realized what had happened, he paid for the people behind him, and it went on all day. It's so nice! I like generous people. What a great thing.
Wow! That's really neat. I had a similar experience when a family at the Mayan gave me a $20 tip for one balloon animal. It is so neat when people are extremely generous like that, and it does make you want to do the same for others. Wouldn't it be fun?
Good things happen in the world every day and it is so easy to forget that!
That's awesome. I got chills reading it. I'm going to do the same thing sometime. What an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing!
Wow that is a pretty cool story. What I saw yesterday really made me think a lot. It was truly amazing. I kinda wished I was the one doing that kind deed! Pine nuts are really tasty too!
Post a Comment