Saturday, May 10, 2008

How many times can you total a car?

As many of you might recall, in January Michael was in a minor accident on the way home from work and got whiplash and a damaged car bumper. The insurance called the car a total loss and wanted to possess it, but we opted to take the $ and keep the car-- because really, who wanted to fork out the $$ to buy a new car and who had the time while I was on bed rest?

Well friends, today Michael was over at our other house doing some yard work and one of the neighbors came and found him in the backyard and said "Is that your white car? I just hit it!" He backed up into it with his Dodge Durango... and, well... at least the doors still close- barely.So, it's back to dealing with insurance for us (we just signed the final release from the other insurance company YESTERDAY)... and I guess we'd better start looking into buying a new car, now that we can barely open and close the doors and the back bumper is still cracked and broken. Blah. But, there isn't anything wrong with the radio, so maybe we'll keep it afterall! At least until cold weather strikes again, seeing as how there's now a breeze in the car. We still have half a car though, if you look at it from the front right headlight you won't see anything wrong with our car! How much do you think we'd get for a trade in?

On a happier note, today we had a ward/neighborhood carnival. Cadence was so excited all day to go to the party at the church and ride the pony (this is a huge event-- last year there were over 500 people and this year they were expecting more, and I think they got it!).
Here's Cade fishing... he ended up crying because he didn't get the same thing as Brennan. But, then they shared and were both happy.

Here are our boys about to take a ride in a tractor-pulled train!

Oh dear, they didn't love it! The train had to pull over after about a minute for us to rescue the screaming boys.

Then Cade saw the ponies and we asked if he wanted to take a ride and he said "NO! I don't want to." He was so scared! So we said we'd just go and take a look at the ponies, so we went and got in line. While we were watching some of Cade's little friends rode the pony and looked like they were having fun, so that made Cade take courage and say he would try it too. He was scared at first, but Daddy walked along holding his hand and he ended up having a good time.


Here's Brennan's expression waiting for his turn on the pony.Not so much! He didn't love it at all. He was distracted for a split second when Daddy asked him to pet the pony's mane, but then he went right back to screaming.

And we're done!We went to a kids craft booth and got the kids a pompom ball ("fuzzy ball") and a feather and a balloon, so then they were happy.
EmmaRay slept through the whole event, but she got lots of compliments anyway. This is really the first ward function that we've been to-- we've only been to Sacrament meeting twice since she was born, and I haven't been to church more than 5 times in the last 6 months. But, I think we'll go to all of church tomorrow!
Happy Mother's Day everyone!

6 comments:

Lori Thornbrue said...

Oh, I am SO sorry about Michaels (your) car!!! At least the person came and said that they hit it and it wasn't a hit and run.
How annoying. Poor little car.
Plus, nice that Michael wasn't in it.
Too bad the kids didn't have a bit more fun at the carnival.... sometimes new things are a bit scary. I wish I would have come, too. It looked like tons of fun. However, I am still behind at work. This ward doesn't give the women Mother's Day off from Primary. I thought that was a nice tradition. Happy Monther's day everyone.

Allie Thornbrue said...

I remember being relieved when we got the first dent in our new car. It made it easier to get more dents!

Michaelangelo said...

Too bad this isn't just a little dent :) The damage will total out the car again... we'll probably replace the door with another door from a junk yard and keep driving the car until it dies or winter hits, whichever happens first. Dealing with the insurance companies is such a pain though!

Allie Thornbrue said...

Well yes, it is a rather large dent. But if you add up all the little dents that my van has gotten from sitting in the parking lot of Walmart alone, then I'd say our cars would be quite a pair together.

Michaelangelo said...

Yes, I must say our car is not too pretty at the moment, and I hear you about the Walmart parking lot :) At least all these dings and dents have happened to our old car and not the new one... and hopefully we are done with adventures like this for awhile!

angel said...

What a neat event! It sounds a lot like the Microsoft company picnic -- only that has thousands of people attending. We're excited to take Joshua this year, as he will be old enough to do more of the activities.
Sorry about the car! Yikes!