Friday, August 27, 2010

Santasana, Squashed Banana

Last night I was helping to take care of my nephews and niece at my house because my sister (Sara)'s back has been hurting her so badly she can't move. After dinner my 11 month old nephew was filthy so I took off his clothes and ran out to the car to find their bag of clothes. They had brought some things up to go to my mom's house and the trunk of my van was full.

Michael was mowing the front lawn (I had just taken his picture in the back, because look! We have a lawn!!), and he came up alongside the car just as I was opening the trunk.
I didn't even realize that something was falling until it had already landed on my foot. I was able to pull it out quickly, so Michael thought that by some miracle it had missed my foot entirely... that is until I screamed and started crying and fell down to the ground.

A wooden doll trunk of my sisters, made by my dad years ago and full of American Doll furniture and accessories weighing roughly 50 lbs had fallen out of the back of the van, landed on the upper edge across the base of my toes (and I of course was barefoot), and then tipped the rest of the way onto the driveway. I should remember that if we're parked in the driveway everything falls out of the trunk.... but I didn't.

Michael carried me inside, and by then my foot was already bruised purple and swollen. He got me some Tylenol and ice, put EmmaRay to bed (it was 8 o'clock) and moved his car so he could carry me to it. Luckily mom got back to our house just as Michael was carrying me out so we didn't have to leave Sara, who is unable to move or lift anything, with 6 kids age 5 and under. We went to the Instacare and he got a wheelchair to take me in.

After several xrays the doctor came back and said the bones are not broken (I attribute these incredibly strong bones to all of the Tums I take for pregnancy heartburn-- thanks baby). I am not supposed to walk for 2-3 days, followed by taking it easy for a few days after that, and then it should be better.

It's bruised like this on top and bottom. My foot has been up since it was smashed, so I know it's avoided a LOT of swelling.
Keeping my foot elevated above my heart is easier said than done when I have a baby compressing my bloodflow in the middle.... and although it feels completely smashed and broken and I can't wiggle my toes, the only medicine I can take is regular Tylenol. Woohoo.

And to think, just on Sunday I was thinking about how glad I am that it had been a while since our last emergency (like 2 months since the last instacare/ER visit.... and one month since the last time I considered taking a kid in).... and, 4 days later it's me. Great.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

OOooh, ouch! Glad nothing's broken.

Jewels said...

Every time I read your blog somebody is hurt. Not kidding. I hope you guys invest in some GOOD insurance for you and ALL your kids. :)

Lloyd Family said...

I agree with Jewels. Your poor family!

Lisa Thornbrue said...

Ow. Ow. Ow.