A few minutes later Cadence and Brennan came inside to bring me something that they were hiding behind their backs. This is a typical experience multiple times a day. They picked my purple mums.
They handed me two mums and told me to put them in water. I told them Thank you and not to pick any more of mommy's flowers because we want them to live. I asked them how many they picked and one of them said lots and the other held up two fingers.
Then I made dinner and the kids looked at books. Michael got home and we started eating dinner and then I suddenly remembered those two little purple flowers that had been brought to me and just HAD to run outside to see the damage done to the bush.
Not only did my two boys pick two flowers for me... they whacked the whole thing off to ground level. You would never know that there was a bush there at all, except for the circle of death and carnage of purple chrysanthemums scattered around, and the toy "weed whacker" (as Cade calls it- it's a little yellow plastic hoe) laying nearby.
The funny thing is, they were so happy about it and wondered why mommy was sad... Cade said we could go to the store and buy another purple flower bush and plant it in the ground to make mommy happy. I think he got it when Daddy said we couldn't just do that-- it's almost winter and we didn't buy those flowers at the store in the first place, our nice neighbor gave them to us from her yard in the spring.
Sadly, this is all that remains of my bush. Enjoying it while it lasts.
I told them they could sing me a song to cheer me up. The song that's at the top of their favorites list: Take Me Out to the Ball Game. Here are their lyrics:
Take me out to the old ball game,
take me out to the park.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks,
I don't care if I get back.
Root, root, root, root, root, root for the home team,
if they don't win it's a shame.
Cuz' it's One two three five six (that's Brennan) strikes out at the old ball game.
I guess they are cute enough to make up for a destroyed bunch of flowers after all.
9 comments:
That is really sad. Naughty little boys. You need to keep them in a cage some days! :)
Hopefully your beautiful bush will grow back next year? Do mums do that?
Yes, mums grow back. And look how much they love their mommy!!! They love her enough to bring her flowers.
Dad and I had a beautiful bush in our back yard. It smelled HEAVENLY, and would make the back yard just the sweetest place. Lisa and James were told to NOT TOUCH it, as they couldn't seem to leave it alone. One day in the spring they picked off EVERY SINGLE LEAF!!! The bush died and we had to remove it. It was HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of tiny little leaves--a HUGE project!!! But, they had such fun doing it, I couldn't be mad--just sorry.
If I had a spare dime I would buy you a new mum to plant before winter: Oh, yea, it is supposed to snow Tuesday. :)
Love you, Mom
I don't think this one will grow back... the kids really destroyed it. Lovely.
Sometimes it's really a good thing kids are cute, isn't it? If they weren't so darn cute and loveable I don't think any child would live past about age 5.
Why is it always so darn cute when it's not your kids?
Oh, that's sad. I'm really sorry. And Mom, I'm sorry I picked all the leaves off your bush.
Lisa, forgiven the very day you did it!!
Oh! How sad. Jarom got the brilliant idea to draw with crayon and marker all over my floor, walls, and sofa today. Well, it wasn't his idea, exactly, it was the little girl I was watching, but he certainly did not say no. He should be beyond that phase, but then again, my 10 yr old put a tube of band-aid ointment in the paper shredder just last year. Boys!
Tragic. My heart goes out to you. I remember one spring after two years of care, my first peony bud were almost ready to bloom when my boys decided they were "bad guy heads" and carefully whacked each one off it's stem with a long stick. So, I'll cry with you.
Post a Comment