Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Honking

For the last three days the most frequent sound we have heard in our house/yard/general vicinity (even more frequent than the airplanes) is the honking of geese flying south for the winter. Flock after flock keeps flying over our house-- I think we're on the migration flight pattern radar or something as a good place to buzz. The kids will be playing (even inside) and hear them honking and run to the windows or door to watch them fly in dis-organized V's (what's up with that?). The kids always ask where they are going and I tell them they are flying to warmer weather for the winter. Wish I could follow them.
(p.s. it is 10:56 pm and a flock just flew over-- should I be worried that they aren't even stopping for the night? What kind of winter are we going to have?)

7 comments:

Lisa Thornbrue said...

Geese at 10:56 PM, huh? Weird schedule. But then again, what am I doing reading this at 1:28 AM?

Lura said...

I think you're lucky. It means you live in a place where you're getting actual Fall weather and you're going to have a real winter! Now for me, here, it's still hot and will be for another month and a half or 2 months and then it'll get cold, but we won't get snow or anything. That'll last for about 3 months and then it's going to be really hot again! So not fair, especially for a person who loves Fall and Winter as much as I do. *sigh* Oh well. That's what I get for marrying an Army man, right?

Jeff and Charity said...

We have had several flocks over our house too!! I think we are in for a dark winter!!

Lloyd Family said...

We have had a mild Fall. I hope that is an indicator of a mild winter. I don't mind one good storm-- to kill the bugs-- but please no rain for 6 months in a row like last winter. We didn't even get a Spring.

Lloyd Family said...

Hey Lisa, I was up at 1:28 last night, too. Ezra woke up screaming for an hour. Totally unnatural for him. I am running on about 4 hours sleep today.

Lori Thornbrue said...

Those plants with the orange berries, that are supposed to be covered if it is going to be a hard winter, are almost solidly orange. Joy! Well, it is supposed to snow Saturday, and it is only the 2nd week of October!
Wasn't last winter hard?

Andrea Hardman said...

Oh no. you've all scared me. I don't want a hard winter but I did notice the extra orange berries on the bushes here. I, in my naive state, just thought, "oh, how pretty." I guess we'll see.