Item 13: Get the boys a bunk bed. I've wanted to get Cade and Brennan a bunk bed since we moved into this house, but first they needed to earn it. My boys are hard on furniture (see post about EmmaRay's new bed), and a few months ago they even took scissors to their pillows and lost those.... so, when we moved in we started the boys earning money for their bunk bed. They earned it a few pennies at a time for good behavior, doing chores, being extra kind or helpful. 9 months later, they had two jars full, and I found a great deal on the bunk bed that I wanted for them.
I really wanted a bunk bed with stairs (for safety reasons-- both of my boys have already had a broken leg and numerous other injuries.... so prevention is key!), but most of that kind are well over $1000-$2000 and I wasn't willing to pay that much. I found the perfect one online, waited a month until they had more in stock, then ordered it-- bunk bed with stairs and a trundle underneath for $647 including shipping!! Wahoo! It came last Wednesday, and Michael spent half of his day off on Friday and half of Saturday building the thing (no kidding, it seriously took 8 hours!!!! Thanks Babe!!), and then he went and picked up the mattresses from Ikea.
After it was all built I had the boys carry their money jars to Daddy to pay him for the bunk bed. They had earned roughly $50. (We put all the change back into our revolving "kid money" fund-- they are now earning money toward Christmas presents to give to family and friends.) We discussed how much work it was for them to earn their bunk bed and how they need to keep it nice and be safe on it. I think the lesson sunk in :)
Sleeping in it for the first time Saturday night! 

Yes yes, I do need to put real curtains up in their room... and make quilts for their bed, but that'll have to be a later project!Item 11 continued: I finished the kids Halloween costumes last night! Wahoo! Giraffe and Pink Bunny are now done too :) The bunny costume is purposely several sizes too big for EmmaRay.... so don't think I'm incapable of making the right size. We just have another project in the works that required a pink bunny costume as well. You'll see, someday!




2 comments:
Super cute and fun! I like the revolving money jar idea. I give Jarom a penny for every word he reads while we are driving-- he can't repeat a word until he has earned a quarter--he exchanges 5 pennies for a nickel, 2 nickels for a dime. . . but I don't know what he is saving for. I like the stripes in the boys room as well. Can wait to have our own place again that we can paint our own style.
From Lisa -- I love how Brennan counted off & the bunkbed is great!!!
Post a Comment