Tuesday, September 21, 2010

More Projects Done!

Item #4: We are in the process of finding/buying the boys a bunk bed for their room. Right now they are both in toddler beds in various states of falling apart--- a.k.a. boys are very rough on furniture. So, I had this brilliant idea to refinish Cade's bed for EmmaRay. His was all scratched up and missing one support under the mattress (because he jumped on the bed, the little monkey), but otherwise in good shape. We could replace the support with one of Brennan's, but his bed was broken too much to be of any further use. So, about a week ago I hauled Cade's bed down to the garage..... he's been sleeping on his mattress on the floor, and will be until we get the bunk bed.
After the first coat of white paint when I'm thinking "Oh no! What have I done???"

Wait for it, wait for it..... about 7 coats of paint later I finally finished it today! We hauled it up to Ray's room right at bed time. I can't even tell you how excited she was to have her very own big-girl bed! Here she is all tucked in for the first time!
Here's hoping she stays in.... but so far we haven't heard a peep! She was so cute getting her blankies and animals to sleep with and snuggled right in.I think the bed turned out really nice now that it's all new and white!

Item #5: This project was a LOOOOOOOOONG time in coming. I got the idea in January..... drew on one wall and painted the chocolate brown in February...... tore my shoulder muscle doing it and couldn't really use my arm for 2 1/2 months (silly)....... then we put in our yard so every ounce of energy went to hauling dirt and bricks. In August my wonderful sister volunteered to come over and help, so she finished the first wall, which was just enough motivation for me to work on the rest of the room. Overall it took about 6 afternoons for me to paint the remaining three walls, but was so worth it because EmmaRay would stay in there all day with me and just keep saying "I LOVE IT!!" Are you ready for the great reveal? I have only taken one picture of one wall so far, because the trim needs to be fixed (silly previous owners who should have been banned from saws and nail guns), so the full unveiling of EmmaRay's room has to wait...
Hehe, I love it!

Item #6: Brennan and I took a trip to the fabric store on Friday last week while running a bunch of other errands. He helped pick out some material for his new baby sister. I always think that every new baby needs at least a couple of new things hand made by mama to welcome her into the world. I finished 3 blankets, each with a matching burp cloth and bib last night.
Three more projects checked off the list!

7 comments:

Lori Thornbrue said...

so cute........and you didn't even take a picture of the side yard yet!

Messimoo said...

Please do come and check off some of mine!!! I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Rachel Hansen said...

I have painted dark stuff before and your are right after a few coats it looks horrible and you think, "Well, this is trash." Wait a go hanging through with all of those coats. It looks great! The wall looks amazing. I am anxious to see the rest.

Allie Thornbrue said...

Love the circles on the wall. What kind of texture do you have?

Michaelangelo said...

Allie-- I think Dad would call it a "medium orange peel" texture; just your regular textured walls.
It's always nice when a project that looks good in my head actually comes to fruition :)

Stephanie said...

I now dub you Super Woman. All that work. Incredible!

Kristen said...

I really love that middle blanket...the brown and blue-ish. Super cute!!!