Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Of all the dumb things....

I went to the Instacare tonight, just me, myself and I.

After painting a super cute stripe in my bedroom and starting polka dots in EmmaRay's room yesterday afternoon my right shoulder started feeling a little off. By the kids bedtime it was really bugging me, and I spent the evening trying to relax on the couch with ice on my shoulder and tylenol. (Bear in mind we have painted our entire house during the last 3 months, and yesterday was just a minor encounter with the roller, not a big deal)

Anyway, had trouble sleeping last night, and then today could barely move my arm at all-- really fun when you have 3 kids in the house. Again I iced it this afternoon and took more tylenol, tried some really gentle stretches, but could not move my arm up in front of me more than a few inches, and to the side only a little further than that.

So, tonight I went to the doctor.... really hoping that I hadn't damaged my rotater cuff muscles or tendons. The doctor tested my hands for strength (my right hand has been weak and slightly tingly all day), and my pain and mobility in my shoulder. Then he said "Good! It's not your rotater cuff! I'm positive that you've torn or damaged your Anterior Deltoid Muscle."

The good news is, it will heal a whole lot better and faster than rotater cuff issues, the bad news is I'm unable to use my arm at all (dominant arm I might add) for the next 3-5 days, then just start with very gentle yoga stretches. I'm on a muscle relaxant for the next 10 days, as well as tylenol for antiinflammatory benefits. Luckily I do not have to be in a sling and should not immobilize my arm, just let it rest and heal.

Anyhoo.... I went to the pharmacy and was surprised that we actually got a prescription benefit (I only had to pay $10)-- the pharmacist said maybe we had surpassed our deductible. I said "If we would just quit injuring ourselves we'd be a whole lot better off." He said "Now's the time to feel free to get injured because your insurance has to pay!" I said "NO THANKS! This is our second instacare/ER trip in a month."

And besides, I'm pretty sure our insurance hates us.... especially because a few days ago we got the bill from Brennan's ER trip (the bottle of cough medicine cost a whopping $900), and then a couple of days after that we got the Benefits statement from the insurance------- our portion: ZERO. Sa-weet!!

So, here's hoping this is the last of the injuries and accidents for a very VERY long while, and hoping this silly shoulder will heal quickly because it hurts! and I can't move! and I hope my children can be patient with me, the one-armed mama. (Side note-- I asked Cade to help me with several things today, and after about a minute of helping he would get a sad look on his face and said "I can't do it anymore, my shoulder hurts!!" to which I said "Pal, my shoulder DOES hurt, and I'm still helping too!" Silly kid)

5 comments:

Lori Thornbrue said...

Get well quickly!

Brenbren said...

Say WHAT!?! Seriously, if you lived closer I would come help you. Drat! Anyway, glad it wasn't your rotater cuff.

Lisa Thornbrue said...

Hey, ouch! That's no fun!!!

Lloyd Family said...

Knock it off, will ya?

angel said...

I'm so sorry your hurt your shoulder! I hope it heals up REALLY quickly!