This one's my favorite, so I've saved if for the Grand Finale of the West Jordan House.
This is how the kitchen started out in 2006. It was a mess. Ugly. Gross looking built in stove and even grosser range hood. The cupboards were filthy, so after a thorough scrubbing they looked this good (they started out a dingy dark color). My fabulous Mom is cleaning the stove.
We took off the range hood, moved up the cabinet, and installed an over the range microwave (which included adding wiring for it). I'm so glad I married a handyman!
The next change was taking out the built in stove. We bought a flat top convection oven ($1200 model for $450, I love finding great deals!) that is free standing. In order to fit it in, we had to cut the counter top back to the wall and widen the space. You can see all about this update here.Then I got this crazy idea to refinish the cabinets to be a dark mahogany/cherry color. Michael didn't want to undertake this project, so I tackled it in October of last year. Honestly it didn't take that long to sand down all the doors, drawers, and casings. Especially considering we all had Swine flu at the time.
Then I stained them Bombay Mahogany with a polyurethane finish, 3 coats. Then we updated all of the hinges from ugly brass/really dirty gold, to brushed nickel. We hung all the doors back on, turned on the light, and noticed that 2 out of the 10 top doors were dull, and the rest were glossy. Go figure. After we moved out I went back and sanded all the doors again and did one more coat all at once. Puuuuurrrrrfect.
Then I stained them Bombay Mahogany with a polyurethane finish, 3 coats. Then we updated all of the hinges from ugly brass/really dirty gold, to brushed nickel. We hung all the doors back on, turned on the light, and noticed that 2 out of the 10 top doors were dull, and the rest were glossy. Go figure. After we moved out I went back and sanded all the doors again and did one more coat all at once. Puuuuurrrrrfect.
Also, the really cheap wood paneling that they put on the backsides of cabinets is completely worthless and unstainable. But, I had an idea for the perfect solution, one that would also keep our house from looking too dark and woody with the new wood floors. White bead board. Love love love it.
I'm kindof sad that I missed taking a picture of the countertop before, but I got one with it ripped off...
I'm kindof sad that I missed taking a picture of the countertop before, but I got one with it ripped off...
The old stainless steel sink reinstalled... if we had stayed here, I probably would have gotten a new one, but really it was in great shape. We did get a new faucet though.
Some time in between the new stove and the last of the remodel we also replaced the light fixtures. They used to be ugly white balls, one attached to the ceiling, the other on a cord hanging down. Oooh, I just love brushed nickel!
So, I want to hear your feedback. This was my first attempt at interior design and remodeling. The second house is still in the works, but pictures will be coming soon!
So, I want to hear your feedback. This was my first attempt at interior design and remodeling. The second house is still in the works, but pictures will be coming soon!


8 comments:
With how nice everything looks.....seems like it should rent/sell shortly!!
wow! The kitchen remodel is beautiful!!!! I LOVE it! Good job with the cabinets....that really made the difference. I HATE sanding. But you make it sound/look so easy! Good job!!!
You have a picture of the old counter tops in the 1st few pictures:) I LOVE it! It turned out amazing. It's funny how not selling a home makes you fix it the way you have been wanting it the whole time you lived there:)
Wow! What a lot of fun remodeling pictures. I love this stuff. The house really is just beautiful! Good job!
What a difference. Very nice job. Wish my kitchen remodel was as simple as staining the doors. No. no. It will require a total tear out and new cabinets. Someday. . . .
It looks incredible!
Wow! It all looks great. Bradley and I are chickens when it comes to home improvement we are always worried we will make it worst instead of better. Great job!
Wow! You are amazing. I am so proud you had the courage to do your cabnets. You know how long I have been dying to do mine! You are so brave. It looks great!
Post a Comment