Long story short:
Working hard to pack and get the house ready to leave for 10 days (plane departs at 11:59pm Wednesday-- tomorrow!)
Happy that the kids are playing so happy together all day so I can get a lot done.
Come downstairs to answer the phone and am distracted for 5 minutes.
Kids in the kitchen asking for food, I tell them I'll make them dinner in a minute.
A minute later Cade says "Mommy, Brennan said you said he could have cough medicine."
I say, "No, I didn't say that! What cough medicine do you have Brennan?" Thinking maybe Brennan was joking with Cade.
I run into the kitchen asking Brennan if he had medicine. He goes over to a cupboard and opens it (not the medicine cupboard), reaches into the back of it and gets out an EMPTY Children's Tylenol Cough and Cold bottle. I ask him if he drank it all and he mumbles "yes"
I grabbed a bowl and shoved it in his hands and told him to throw up now!!! I think I scared him half to death, but I was scared half to death.... I actually gagged him 3 times by putting my finger down his throat, but he didn't throw up.
I grabbed the empty bottle (which I am sure was at LEAST half full if not three quarters full), shoved all three kids in the car (EmmaRay straight from her crib from her nap). No kids had socks, shoes or coats, and drove like crazy to the Instacare.
I stormed into the instacare, held up the bottle and said "My son just drank this. What do we do?" Then I burst into tears.... They said "Did you call Poison Control?" I said, "No, I didn't have their number available"
Get this-- the INSTACARE had to call INFORMATION to get the number for POISON CONTROL!!!!! Michael and I have decided that poison control needs a phone number like "922" or something easy to remember.
I expected Brennan to get his stomach pumped, but they don't do that for kids anymore unless they drink poison. The Instacare said "Well, poison control says that if he drank half the bottle he'll be okay, but if he drank 3/4's of it then it's a toxic dose. You'll have to go to the ER and have his blood tested when it's been 4 hours."
Michael came while we were there and drove us to the new Riverton Hospital. We got checked in.... and waited..... and waited..... until 8:45pm (Brennan drank the stuff at 4:45) so they could do the blood test.
Meanwhile Grandma comes and gets Cade and EmmaRay and takes them back to her house so they can have dinner and not be stuck in the hospital. Michael goes with her to go get his car from the instacare and bring back dinner for me. Brennan gets hooked up to an EKG and we're worrying about tachycardia and depressed breathing, and Brennan falls into a very drugged sleep and when he wakes up after an hour and a half his eyes are glassy and he's nonresponsive. Then he sleeps some more with an irregular heartbeat. Then he wakes up again and talks, but is goofy.
The dr tells us that if it was a toxic dose then he'll either need an IV for 24 hours or oral medication for 3 days (in hospital).... GREAT, we're supposed to leave TOMORROW for the BAHAMAS.
Blood test came back well within the safe range and we are home.... we just have to check Brennan every 2 hours through the night to make sure he's ok. He definitely overdosed, but his body metabolized it quickly. Hooray!
I think, I hope, I PRAY that Brennan has learned his lesson not to get into things. We hope we make it through his childhood.
We need a vacation! Grandparents who are so wonderfully watching our children for the next 10 days, please-- watch them like a hawk!!!
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
oh man! This made me get a little emotional. How scary. I am soooooo glad he is okay. I did that when I was younger and got really sick. I had to be hospitalized and my stomach was pumped. It was adult medicine I drank. Not good.
So scary! I've called poison control a couple times (my kids a regular Houdini). I am glad he is doing well.
Have fun in the Bahamas!
It's funny you say the number should be 922 because their number is pretty much all 2's.
Yikes!! Silly Brennan. Mom said that you guys were talking about exercising and getting fit and Brennan said he'd rather be fat. What a goofy kid. When will he learn not to be so contrary? At least you had Cade to tattle on Brennan! I guess it can be a good thing!
Oh my goodness, stuff like that always freaks me out. Even though my kids can't even reach the counter tops yet, but they already give me gray hair every day. Enjoy your vacation, I hear it's nice to be away from your kids for a bit....he he he. I have yet to try it.
Okay. I cried. I am an emotional wreck. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Especially so close to your vacation. I'm glad that he is okay and I'll pray too that he makes it through his childhood. :)
Have a fun time. I am so jealous! Can I work for you and you take me on vacation? lol. Love you guys!
HOLY COW!!! I'm glad he was okay, but I also hope he has learned his lesson. I cannot imagine how scared you must have been. Forget it (for now) and enjoy the Bahamas with your husband!!! (I'm jealous of the warm weather and kid-free-ness you're going to be enjoying!)
So scary!!!!!!! I'm so glad he's all right. Go have a FANTASTIC vacation!
So scary!!!!!!! I'm so glad he's all right. Go have a FANTASTIC vacation!
Wow, that is so scary! I actually have Poison Control programed in my phone, just in case. I've never had to use it, but I learned from my mom (who had to call it several times for my brothers) and I don't want to risk not knowing it.
Now that that is over, enjoy your vacation! You really need to relax, especially after a scare like that.
I love the idea of poison control having a simple number. It is scary being a mom. I haven't had to deal with poison but the knife drawer has been raided and it sure can get your blood pumping when your little ones are in danger. I'm so glad it turned out okay. Have a wonderful time in the sun.
Poor kid. At least he was drugged when you took him to the Instacare this time, or you may have had a screaming lunatic on your hands-- he's been there SO many times!!!
Have fun in the Bahamas. Cant wait to see pictures.
Post a Comment