Thursday, October 29, 2009

My First 5k

On Saturday morning I ran a 5k (ok, ran/walked, but I ran about half of it) with the fun office people that I've been working with. It was a charity event for a little boy who lost his lower leg in a lawnmower accident a month or so ago. They raised $6000 at this 5k! Hooray! The little boy and his family were there, and his parents pushed him and ran the race too. Our shirts say "Run Karsen Run" with a picture of a Transformer. The race was supposed to start at 8am, so we showed up at 7:30 to register... and the crowds didn't show up until 8, so we didn't start until 8:30. Basically we froze for an hour and then ran :) The baby in the stroller is 5 weeks old and is the reason that I started working 2 days a week. He was a champ on the run and gave me a great excuse to walk the last mile... he got fussy and I held him the rest of the way because his Mama is a great runner and was way ahead of me! Thanks for stickin' with me Erin! It was a blast, and I wasn't even horribly sore the next day, so yay for me! Looking forward to more events like this! Erin (Front Office), Dr. Blackwood, Mindy (we were college roommates during hygiene school!) Me, Laura (Dave's cute wife), and Dave (Assistant but soon to be Dental student) and Baby Cash.

oh, I have to justify my funny look in this picture-- I was wearing a t-shirt, two jackets, and then the race t-shirt on top and still freezing!

Waiting for the race to start at the start and finish line!
Here I am walking with Cash on my shoulder. He is adorable and did great even though it was cold and he was hungry!

So, even though I'm not a runner at all I thought I did okay for my first 5k! We started at 8:30 and I crossed the finish line at 9:15 (and no, I wasn't the last one). And it was so great to see the community come together and donate money, time and energy for the little 3 year old who needed help!

8 comments:

Lori Thornbrue said...

That is so great! What a GREAT person you are, and I am so happy they LOVED you as a dental assistant.

Alex said...

Man you make me feel lazy. I used to do 5Ks and all that but I just kinda quit running altogether as of about July of 08. I am lazy. I need to find someone to run with me then maybe I would get back into it.

Brenbren said...

Go Butter! So, at first I thought that baby was yours but then I realized it wasn't. I was like, WHAT!?! She was preggy and had a baby and I never knew. Girl, you are so lucky that wasn't your baby;) Good job on the run.

Allie Thornbrue said...

Way to go. Your time wasn't too bad, dearie, considering you haven't been training.

There was a charity run I wanted to participate in for an infant was was born without skin.

So let's do some kind of Thornbrue family turkey trot.

Lloyd Family said...

I think I could probably trot-- not much of a runner either, but I did pretty good when I did the triathlon. My friend and I had a goal to finish under 2 hours and we did. Not too sore the next day, either.

Good job, you.

Stephanie said...

Congrats on your finish. Our stake sponsored a 5K before Stake Women's Conf. this year. We used it as a food drive. It's amazing how many people come out to these things.

angel said...

That's really neat!

erin said...

It was so great to do it together. Let's do it again! :)