HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO GO TO THE INSTACARE BEFORE WE ARE DONE??????
Brennan, my poor little beat up baby, ended up at the Instacare last night. Yes, you read that right. Remember about oh, Two Weeks Ago, he got a cast off of his broken leg, and Two Months Ago he was in the hospital with the flu, and Two and a Half Months Ago he got SEVEN STAPLES in his head!Well, last night as I was making dinner the kids were playing out on the deck- Michael was out there with them. Brennan went behind the deck swing, Cade pushed the swing back, knocked Brennan over and he fell and cut just above his lip under his nose we think on a bolt on the frame of the swing.
It's an upside down Y shaped cut in between the lines (philtrum) and about an 1/8th of an inch above his lip. If it had been over the border onto his lip he would have needed plastic surgery last night to fix it.
As it was, I took him to the Instacare- he cried when he saw the parking lot and said he didn't want to go in. He SCREAMED and I had to pin him down for them to tape a cotton ball with lidocaine jelly onto his face. Then we had to wait half an hour for his skin to get all numb. We snuggled up and he got to watch Finding Nemo in the waiting room (only the nice parts- that movie is SCARY for a 3 year old!!) I told him after about 25 minutes that it was almost his turn and he cried and said he didn't want to go in to the doctor.
Brennan was very brave until the nurse went to wash his cut. He started screaming "I don't want the water squirter!!" I explained to the nurse why Brennan is so fearful and she said she didn't blame him for being scared- he's been through way too much in the last 3 months.
We did our best to clean the cut, but it's a difficult place to clean-- the water (saline) ran into his mouth and he gagged on the taste, but if we tilted his head back or to the side it ran up his nose. We sat him back up and it came back out of his nose, but no one likes the water up the nose feeling. The nurse gave up and went to get the doctor to take a look.
Brennan screamed and screamed, not just incoherent screaming, but things like "Go away! I don't like it! It's hurting me! I don't like the doctor! He hurts me! Mommy hold me! Hold me!" All the while I'm holding him down on the table, practically laying on him, and the nurse is holding his head still. The doctor moved his cut this way and that and decided it needed a stitch across to hold it together. The nurse had really been hoping for Dermabond glue, but there's too much tension and movement on that spot.
They had to clean out the cut again and then the doctor came back with a curved needle and unfortunately a thread that has to be taken out in five days (dissolvable just doesn't work on frequently wet places). They turned on a bright light shining on Brennan's face and I told him to close his eyes. He never saw the needle or thread, though it tickled his face a few times. Brennan did not enjoy the Betadyne or alcohol used to sterilize his cut, and then the Dr put the needle in. I swear Brennan felt it even though his lip was numb. He flinched and screamed for me to hold him. I told him I was and he just kept yelling "I want Mommy! Hold me Mommy!" and then "I want DADDY!" Mommy wasn't saving him from this awfulness. I about cried.
Because he was screaming so much and the doctor was trying to stitch his lip he had to go very slowly to make sure that the needle came up in the right place on the first try. I swear that needle was in Brennan's lip for a full minute. Then the doctor tied it off and I could finally hold and comfort Brennan. I told Brennan to say thank you to the doctor for fixing his owie and he did. That always surprises the doctors.
Then the doctor looked at Brennan and said "What about his teeth?" and looked in his mouth. I said "I'm a dental hygienist and looked inside his mouth when I got him cleaned up at home. There's nothing wrong there, but outside his mouth is out of my realm, so we came in."
Brennan got a popsicle from the nurse and we went home. He did amazingly well for how traumatic the whole thing was, and this morning he's just playing like normal. Last night when we went to bed I saw the whole stitching again in my mind and heard Brennan's crying again and I lost it. It is so hard to hold your baby down. Poor little guy.
We have to go back on Friday and get the stitch out. The doctor said "It'll be quick and easy" and I said "I understand that, but Brennan doesn't understand that. It's not going to be fun."

7 comments:
My goodness. That kid must be saving up for years and years of no pain. He's paid his dues. Don't you wish it worked that way? Good luck.
Let's see, he's three..........just barely. How many more trips to the hospital/instacare are in his future? Let's let this be it!!! Okay? When Michael called last night I told him I didn't want to hear it...........But, he told me anyway! Poor baby.
I am speechless. You guys are being tried with hospitals, injuries, and bills. Good luck. My goodness, I am glad he didn't have to have plastic surgery. Poor guy!
As often as I've been into the ER with my boys over the last 6 months, it's NOTHING to what you've had to endure. I really hope you get many years of no Instacare visits to make up for the past few months.
I think it's funny you think Finding Nemo is scary for a 3 year old. My 2 and 3 year old both adore that movie.
Poor baby. I can't believe he was back in the instacare.
It is the sharks and the light fish....Cade and Brennan say they can watch it when they're seven! Neither of them like anything at all that is scary to watch. [Which eliminates almost every movie.....because even all cartoons have a villain] Consequently, they don't watch much. But then, Annie doesn't like scary movies either!
POOR KID!!! I feel so sad for him!
Post a Comment