Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ice Comed Out the Sky!

We went to the aquarium with some friends this morning and then to the pool store to buy a patch for a random leak that spouted last night and on the way home I saw a DARK cloud across the valley... right over our neighborhood! I got close to home and the rain started, then I could barely see 20 feet ahead, then as I rounded the 2nd to last corner before reaching our house the hail started. Cade and Brennan thought the car was breaking apart it was so loud!! I drove as fast as possible into the safety of the garage.

This was the view from the garage. It was so loud I could barely hear myself speak.... well, yell really to tell Michael to look outside from work. He thought I sounded like a reporter out in the field covering a disaster story. The driveway became a lake full of hail and leaves-- the poor trees lost about a quarter of their leaves, but luckily kept all their branches.
Enlarge this picture to get the full effect. Hail was pelting down for a good 15-20 minutes!!!
See the lake by the storm drain and in the driveway? And all the downed leaves? It was raining so hard during this picture that every gutter was overflowing around the whole house!
Our trees survived, but check out the neighbors trees-- luckily dead trees already, and luckily they didn't fall into our yard... how did they miss? It's a miracle!!
Leaves and ice cover the deck.

Here's Cade holding a giant marble sized hail stone-- this was about half melted. You get the idea!! BIG hail!!!Cade and Brennan watching the storm. Brennan kept saying "Ice comed down out the sky!!" We didn't really love the ferocity of the storm.
Just now I looked out the back and realized that the green space behind our house is entirely flooded with storm water... I mean several FEET deep and POURING out the storm drain. What a mess!

We have fabulous new neighbors next door though (the ones with the dead trees)-- I had left 6 packages on the front steps for the mailman to pick up while I was gone, and when I saw the rain I was just praying that they were gone already or I knew they would all be ruined. In the mad dash into the garage I saw that they were gone and thought it was a miracle that the mailman had come so early today. During a break in the storm my new neighbor came over and said "I saved your packages from the storm! They're in my garage." Hooray!!

CRAZY STORM!

8 comments:

Lori Thornbrue said...

Six miles away, and we didn't get a drop. Weird.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Holy Smokes! That's insane!!

Alli Kat said...

Goodness! I remember my first big hailstorm growing up in Texas. Golf ball sized HAIL! I kept one of the hailstones in the freezer for a memory until we moved.

angel said...

Whoa! What a storm!
Brennan's comment reminds me of the funny thing Joshua said yesterday. It was sad because he got an upset tummy and threw up, but his response was so adorable, "I'm sorry. Spilled."

Lloyd Family said...

WOW! What a storm. And even crazier, that mom didn't get a drop of rain. That is kind of fun, if no one gets hurt!!

Andrea Hardman said...

Wow! That's crazy. I was in SL durring that storm but it didn't hit Bountiful at all. I guess it went around. But I heard the warnings on the Radio. I'm glad you got to the garage without pellet sized marks in your car! It was fun to see you at the wedding too.

Allie Thornbrue said...

We got your storm two days later. It was garbage day, and unlike my neighbors, I remembered to bring in our empty trash can.

Heidi L Barber said...

Holy Cow!!! That is amazing! Although I'm glad our yard didn't get pelted I wish we could've borrowed some of the rain. :)