Friday, January 21, 2011

Drive-In Movie

I saw an idea on http://www.alittletipsy.com/ to do a drive-in movie night at home. So tonight that's what we did. The kids spent over an hour making their "cars" out of boxes while I made dinner. The only thing I helped with was drawing 4 circles for EmmaRay's wheels-- she cut them out and then did everything else by herself. I was impressed with the outcomes really. It's all about the details.
For example, notice all of the brown papers sticking into Brennan's car? What are those you might ask? Why, they are the air vents of course.
I didn't take a picture of it, but Brennan also drew an engine and made a paper gas tank on the underside of his car.
Cade had a speedometer (he is going 40mph), steering wheel, gear shift, gas and brake pedals, and even rear view mirrors. Notice the blue line across the top of his windshield. Oh yes, he definitely knows cars.
Here's EmmaRay-- she said that she made a train car because she put more wheels on it.
This is our "Concessions" stand. I put prices by everything and cut up paper money for us to use to buy our dinners and our treats. For example, a hamburger, fries and a drink was $5, licorice was $1 each, Dots were 3/$1, and a bowl of popcorn was $2.
I made Red Robin style burgers complete with a fried egg (weird, but delicious!) and their signature BBQ sauce. Mmmmmmmm. We ate at the table, then we let the kids spend the rest of their money on whatever treats they wanted.

When they had their bowls of popcorn and treats they "drove" their cars to the living room and parked. We watched VeggieTales "The Wizard of Ha" from the $5 movie rack. The kids had a great time buying their dinners, ate amazingly well, and then had a blast choosing what to buy. They're already asking when we can do this again!

Even little Adelynn got in on the fun... she has been discovering the use of her hands yesterday and today (already!?!?!?!) and she held on to a dollar!
She really wanted to buy a treat :)I highly recommend this inexpensive and fun family night in.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

FUN!!! I want to do that for a group date or something. Have a bunch of people come over and make them 'pay' for dinner/treats/and the movie. Cute. Cade has quite the interior to his car. What a smart boy. The blue at the top of the windshield cracks me up!!

Lori Thornbrue said...

Wow, that was WAY fun! Love it.

Lisa Thornbrue said...

THose are so cute!!!!! How totally fun!

Stephanie said...

That sounds like a blast! Wes would love it. Please post your Red Robin recipe - my hubby loves Red Robin :)

Angela said...

Stephanie- the Red Robin burgers are super easy-- around here you can buy "Jack Daniel's" Original BBQ sauce at the grocery store. I just mixed some with raw hamburger, made them into patties and grilled them with more sauce on top. Then add all your extras on a warm buttered bun-- cheese, lettuce, red onion, mayo, more BBQ sauce, and a fried egg. I just cooked the eggs in a little butter with a lid on the pan and flipped them over so they got completely cooked. We thought they tasted pretty authentic :) And the drive-in movie was definitely a hit with the kids!

angel said...

Thanks for the posts, Annie. Sounds like a fun night, and your Valentine's decorations are really pretty and fun.

Lloyd Family said...

Super cute idea! I love it!